Earth Day is this month, and that means we have 30 out of 356 days to thank our lovely planet for life, and only 1 single day that we actually think about it (#EarthDay). And then it is on to forgetting once again.So, may I present to you, facts about our not-so-green-living-lives that will make you turn sickly green.
[Also, make sure to check out the last fact for some INSANE information…mind-blowingly unfortunate.]
- Each of us creates 4.7lbs of trash A DAY.
We are rubbish.
- 54% of our trash ends up in landfills.
- 75% of our waste products are recyclable but we only recycle 30% of it.
- If we composted the 21.5 million tons of food waste, then it would be equivalent to taking 2 million cars off the road.
- We throw away 28 million bottles and jar every year.
- We’re doing better on recycling paper! Recycling has increased over 90% since 1990.
High-fiving a million angels right now.
- In 2011, less than 10% of businesses recycled…. great.
- The Great Pacific Garbage Patch – how disgusting are we?
- Located 1,000 miles west of San Fransisco in the Pacific Ocean….literally a garbage dump in the ocean
- 3 MILLION TONS of garbage
- TWICE the size of Texas
- Clockwise trade wins along Pacific Rim pushes garbage from ships, beaches, etc. to this central area
- It’s 80% plastic
You’re welcome. I hope you remember at least one of these facts. If not, well you stink. But that’s for another day! Happy #EarthMonth everyone!